Skip to main content

Why I am utterly unqualified - the imperfect pin up

Why I am utterly unqualified - 

the imperfect pin up


If you're clumsy and untrained in the stereotypical 'female arts' of make up/fashion/beauty, but like the pin up 50ies style? 
Welcome to your tribe, Darling 💋.

You're amongst kindred crooked cat-eyed spirits, who share a love of pin up style, but lack the skill or knowledge.






So whether you want to add some pin up flair to a special night/day or want to upgrade your entire wardrobe to fabulous fifties style... 

Via this blog I'm sharing with you my:

  • Noob mistakes and current struggles 
  • Idiot-proof tips and tutorials that worked for me (winged eyeliner for the motorically challenged)
  • Reviews and comparisons of products 
  • Hacks for pinup on a dime, storing your 50ies fashion
  • Anything that strikes my fancy or is maybe requested by you

What's a Pin Up?

Born out of the burlesque art, a pin up is a model used for popular and somewhat cheeky/sexy images that were meant to be displayed in an informal way (pinned up to the wall). These models display the typical feminine style of the 1940ies and mostly 50ies, so I  use the terms "50ies fashion" and "pin up fashion" interchangeably. 

More info on pin ups .


And who am I?

A lover of 50ies fashion, Burlesque enthousiast and Corgi fan 🐶.
corgi



Joined Burlesque class at 24, started my pin up wardrobe at 25, decided to write this blog at 26.

My neighbors know me as Sofie, my fellow dancers know me as the Darling Of Venus, but you can call me Buttercup ;-)



Why I'm utterly unqualified to instruct you in the art of the pin up:


Daunted by the effortless grace and pro skills of the current retro/pin up bloggers out there, I doubted why my two cents on the niche topics would be worth reading.


Because I was never a "girly girl" and being so clumsy, I couldn't fully relate to the pro's out there like Miss Victory Violet or Cherry Dollface, despite our shared love and aesthetic.
So maybe others felt the same way, or we could simply share a laugh at the (hopefully recognisable) struggles of the imperfect pin up.



My unqualifications:

  • I've always preferred a solid jRPG (=videogame genre) over make up or "doing my nails"
  • My motor skills never fully developed as they should've (holding a camera turns me into a Parkinson patient)
  • Didn't grow up with old Hollywood movies or rolemodels like Marilyn Monroe (I always wanted to be Britney Spears)
  • Nor do I know how to sow 
  • My mom puts on lipstick and mascara, not a fully contoured, foundation blended, perfect smokey/natural eye look, so I didn't see her apply a lot of make up nor did I experiment with make up, myself, until I was 25.
So if any of those things resonated with you, or you'd like to my journey to full pin up-hood, you might like this blog.


Feel free to check out some of the previews of topics to come, comment or even subscribe <3

red lips pin me up buttercup


- Buttercup, the imperfect pin up 

Comments