Skip to main content

Review: velcro hair rollers


I woke up like this, really.

As a clumsy pin up with short hair, I felt I lacked the technique to create a controlled curl, as opposed to my natural mixture of uncontrolled curls and waves.

I threw caution to the wind when I saw a bunch of velcro rollers at a local store (HEMA) for only €2.50. I googled some tutorials/tips for and got to curling.



The big idea of the product: 

Idea is that you take sections of your freshly washed hair and roll it around the velcro rollers.

It's a simple product that gives you a lot of freedom and room to experiment, as the direction of the curl depends on the direction in which you roll your hair around the roller.

You can use the rollers to just get volume (lift your hair roots by rolling the rollers as close to them as you can), or get a head full of curls, or just go for some waves - or a mixture of all those things.

The reality of the product: 


Get ready to experiment with the different sizes of rollers, knowing that the smaller the roller, the tighter the curl, and the bigger rollers tend to give more waves rather than actual curls.

I had no issues putting the rollers in, but I struggled with releasing the rollers without hurting myself at first, but after a few strands of hair, I found the right technique for me.

The curlers are lightweight but take up a lot of space, so have a shoebox or 2 available.

The morning after: 

I see a direct result, good and bad, of the choices I make (size and direction of rollers). 
This makes you feel like you're really learning and can learn a go-to style on which you can rely when you need to do your hair for a special occasion.

Since I don't brush out the curls on the first day, my hair looks freshly curled and styled the next morning. 
The curls stay for about 3 days without using any hairspray.


1 day after
During
After

The verdict: Clumsy proof "I woke up like this"

This is my new go-to style, and it takes me about 15 minutes to put the rollers in.
I'm currently looking for a good product to put on my ends before rolling my hair, because they come out a bit frizzy sometimes.

Other than that, I can go to bed and just wake up with a bunch of cute curls, without any effort or product.  Lazy pin ups, rejoice!

You'll also find a lot of tutorials for iconic styles: such as the 50ies Marilyn Monroe waves, 40ies soft curls or 30ies short hair curls, and many more.

What's your favorite style?

red lips pin me up buttercup






- Buttercup, the imperfect pin up 


Comments